everything old is new again

the incoherent ramblings of a struggling artist, costume designer, spinner, knitter, beader, regular single gal in the twin cities of minneapolis st. paul.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Tha Sleepies

Sleep has always been a touchy thing for me. A constant battle to try to find a way to fall asleep and STAY asleep. It's not unusual for me to wake up 6-10 times in a night, long enough to actually realize I'm awake and have been for quite some time.

I try to work up a habit or ritual before hitting the sack, like, reading, not reading, having the radio on, having an aquarium for 'white noise', etc. but after a few weeks it goes all wonked again. Just like my deodorant wearing out after a few weeks, my body wizens up and the tricks no longer work. My latest issue, is that the space heater my landlord gave me burned up its plug and cord earlier this week. So now it's about 55 degrees in my room at all times.

This is not a big deal to me, the first off-campus house that I lived in during my college years at Morris was so cold (HOW COLD WAS IT?) that water would literally freeze in the glass next to my bed at night. But it's still hard for me to keep my feet warm as I refuse to wear socks to bed.
I wrapped them up mummy style with three layers of blanket last night, which of course was wadded on the floor by the time I got up around 11.

A good trick my mind plays on me-during the 7 minutes of 'snooze' afforded me by my POC alarm clock is this-my dream becomes the one where I'm in the shower, getting ready to go to work, or sometimes, actually in the car. I can dream my way halfway to work before it buzzes again, I wake up, and hit the snooze, yet again. Shower not taken, car not driven.

At least it beats Rajaheejahaja sleeping with me. That's my sister's cat, who I cared for while she was in the Peace Corps. Raja felt a dietary need to eat paper, which included magazines, bills, softcover books, and paper bags. If I closed my door, she HOWLED like someone had set her tail on fire. So I had to let her in and just encourage her with the help of a spray bottle, to stay away from my papers.

Raja once ate a hole in a map of Chicago my sister had laid out for me while I was visiting her. Betsy had marked all the interesting places for me to visit, and which bus routes to take, but just south of the Loop there appeared to be a giant crater. With cat-tooth marks all around it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home