everything old is new again

the incoherent ramblings of a struggling artist, costume designer, spinner, knitter, beader, regular single gal in the twin cities of minneapolis st. paul.

Friday, December 23, 2005

The Day Before the Night Before Christmas

As per usual, this epic procrastinator has procrastinated up until preeeeetty much the last minute.

I have yet to finish a single gift for a single person on my list. Which is very edited this year, due to fundage issues. Most of the women are getting beaded items, most of the men, knitted ones.

I tried to knit a hat last night for someone who's birthday is mere days after Christmas. How much would that suck as a kid? So I wanted to make sure he gets very different Christmas and Birthday presents from me. I started it on Wednesday night, with a 3:1 ribbing for the first 2 inches, then just regular stockinette (I love circs! No purling!) for the top. After finishing the darn thing, I realized it was going to be too shallow. That's a common problem for someone who doesn't always use patterns to make things. The shaping on the top was so pretty and perfect though, that I couldn't bear to rip out the top. No worries, thought I. I'll just take off the bottom row, and pick up the stitches and go from there.

For some reason, it didn't occur to me to use a scissors until I'd gotten the first row completely un-bound. Ripping back the first row of something knit on circular needles sucks. It NEVER ran easily, I had to tease out the yarn on the front and back of every stitch. So I got fed up and started snipping. And like most other disasters in my life, I realized only too late that I was going to lose ALL of the ribbing I'd put on this damn thing, because I can't figure out how to pick up stitches in pattern.

Oh well, it was only about 1 hour of knitting the ribbing that I lost. And about 1 hour of trying to get rid of it and pick up the stitches that I'm going to re-start....and only about 1/2way through with that as it is.

The yarn was FREEEEEEEE from a workmate who is allergic to wool, who had gotten it from her mother-in-law. So it's nice that I'm not spending any money on this project, since the time and frustration that it's cost me adds up to, uh, A LOT. Anyway. It's hard knitting for guys because you can't add all the little decorative elements (read:mistake cover-uppers) that you can add for girls. I so desperately wanted to add some fun color work or ear flaps or tassels to this thing, but methinks he wouldn't appreciate it. So it's grey. And may or may not have ribbing when it's all said and done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home